Warning: There will be swear words. Proceed at your own risk.
- 50 Children: One Ordinary American Couple’s Extraordinary Rescue Mission into the Heart of Nazi Germany – Audiobook
- Dirty Love – Audiobook
- Snow Falling on Cedars – Ebook
- Furiously Happy: A Funny Book About Horrible Things – Print
- Dark Sun: The Making of the Hydrogen Bomb – Ebook
- Blind Descent (Anna Pigeon, #6) – Audiobook
- Flying Colours (Hornblower Saga: Chronological Order, #8) – Audiobook
To be clear, I do have a book club with more than 1 person in it. It’s the Friendly BC (FBC). I like them, but I don’t always want to read those books. Most of the time I am glad I read the books they pick. Other times I get very “fuck no.” We will get to them next week. Why? Because I am hosting and the selector for the July book. We meet Sunday. I don’t want to spoil my Type A plan to discuss this book. I will write that another day.
Don’t want to discuss this either since it is also a FBC selection. I don’t really want to talk about them here. This is a totally different book club.
Drinking & Eating:
- Only ice-tea, but it is 9pm so the caffeine will keep me up. ADULTING!
- I have a square of Ghirardelli dark chocolate with caramel to eat as I work on this.
Since the BCo1 is new, I think this is a good time to explain what I am doing. Being a librarian, I often get asked for book suggestions. I have spent 10 years in an academic library doing zero readers advisory. Still, people seem to think I suggest good books. I seem to know what people will like… or I just know good books… or both. I have decided to accept this and run with it. Rather than copying what everyone else does, I thought I would try something different. I love having a book club and I dislike writing book reviews.
This is not going to be a website of book reviews. This is going to be a book club except it’s just me. This is a 5 month experiment in me being able to update this once a week. Typically, it will be about the books I have finished since the last entry. This may include:
- responses to reading guide questions
- who I would cast as whom
- talk about the movie if one exists
- what other people told me about the book
- funny Amazon and Good Read reviews
- no discussion of the book at all, just talk of life (as book clubs often do)
If there is no book to discuss I reserve the right to talk about books I am looking forward to reading, how I pick books to read, why I pick a specific format, a funny story about a friend’s reading choices, the best books I have read, the worst books I have read, conferences, books I gave away because I am a nice person and then regret giving away because I am still an asshole, and so much more. I will try to remember to tell readers what they may or may not like a book.
Yes, feel free to comment and to disagree. Please feel free to leave your own review, discussion, or wine selections in the comments.
This week’s plan:
- READ ALL THE BOOKS! (always the goal, never achieved)
- Take some pictures for this blog: me, the cat, wine, books, snacks.
- Actually finish 1 of the books listed at the top of this entry… not Dark Sun (I have been reading that since fucking April and it’s not going to happen this week).
- FBC meeting
- Back to work after vacation
- Knitting- but that’s not why you read this blog.