It has been a rough week. Not for writing, things are coming along beautifully with the writing. It has just been a tough week. I don’t think anyone will really wonder why. I have turned to writing as a way to help process what is going on in the US. Here is what has gone on this week:
- As I move through the Elementals Trilogy, I am beginning to realize this may be far more than just three books. Right now I think the first book has enough content to be split into 2 books and the trilogy may work as 5 books. There is a theme with the first book: learning who you are and how well you can know the people you love. I may tinker with the theme a bit for the second half to see if it can be sustained with an entire book. With that in mind, I am going to stop calling it a trilogy and start calling it a series.
- That being said, setting the first half of book 1 in New Orleans has made it quite clear that I need to go back there in the next few years. I want to address why this all happen in New Orleans and have the city play a bigger role in the story. That is going to require some research because this all happens well before Hurricane Katrina. I need to be there and talking to long time residents.
- The focus on cities has me rethinking how I laid things out geographically. Each story seems to take place in 1 or 2 specific cities. I have to consider how much the city plays a role in each story. Will understanding the city make the story seem more cohesive?
- The Northanger Abbey story development has been very fun. I am focused on developing the Tilney family and the Allens. The Tilney family has been a lot of fun to write. This week I focused on the Allens. As I wrote, I realized I need to visit more haunted places, I need to visit conventions and expos related to hauntings, and I need to be part of things like seances. I have been thinking that Christi can focus on all this as she knows this better than I do. Now I feel like I should be more involved in this.
- I am not yet half way through the month, but I am over half-way to my goal of 50,000 words. From what I can tell of where I am in my very basic outline for the month, I am pretty much done with the content I want to write for Northanger Farm. I have a few ideas that may get written, but only if I need it. I am only in the middle of the detailed outline for book 1 of the Elementals Series. Moving forward I am going to be focusing on that outline.
This week will be my big push to get a nice buffer or words. With Thanksgiving on it’s way, I know I won’t get any writing done.