Thing 1 & Thing 2 are the nickname’s for Mary’s young sons. I thought it would be fun to do a profile for these toddlers.
Here are 5 things you won’t learn about Thing 1 & Thing 2 from the novel.
- As much as they love their aunts Louisa and Emma, it is Elizabeth who is their favorite. It is only because she can’t stand them and they are children. Their favorite game is how quickly they can make her mad.
- Thing 1 & Thing 2 may seem like an obvious Dr. Seuss reference, this is not the case. It is actually something that came from their favorite book, Where the Wild Things Are. When their sons get too wild and crazy, Mary and Tommy act out scenes from the books with the boys as the Wild Things. Thus, they became Wild Thing 1 & Wild Thing 2.
- Emma took them to Build-A-Bear once. They each made the NY Mets bear because “Daddy loves the Mets and they make Daddy sad.”
- I told you already that, because their mother loves Grease 2, they can sing Reproduction by heart. They also know all the words to Crazy Little Thing Called love because their father loves that song. They can also sing all the words to New York, New York because their grandfathers have been known to start singing this song together when they have drunk too much beer.
- They have the same favorite food: chicken nuggets with BBQ dip. Actually, their favorite food is the BBQ sauce because it is one Tommy makes from scratch. They won’t eat bottled BBQ sauce.