In the original story, there is a trip to Lyme. During that trip Anne meets three people who are good friends of Captain Wentworth. These three people met him after everything happened with Anne.
There are four such people in my book. One, Patrick, we spend a lot of time with during the first half of the story. Another is his husband, Victor. These two characters closely connect to the Harvilles in the original, but are different. Seth, who I introduced a few weeks ago, is similar to Captain Benwick, but also completely different. There is one character who doesn’t have a counterpart in the original story, Sammy. This gave me a lot of freedom with her and I turned to many of my friends as her inspiration, but not one specifically.
Here are 5 things you won’t know about Sammy from reading Modern Persuasion
- She a complete ham. If you look at pictures of her through her life, you will see a girl who is always posing for the picture in some wacky way. Even in formal family pictures she has some exaggerated stance and expression on her face.
- Her father was a radio DJ for a oldies and classic rock station in her hometown. She can identify any song from 1950-1975 within the first 2 notes. She is never wrong, except with disco.
- Her favorite books to read are cozy mysteries, especially British ones.
- She and her husband are both extraverts who often host parties at their home. A small group of close friends, including Fredrick, Patrick, and Victor, often stay late to play Apples to Apples or Cards Against Humanity.
- She has a bag obsession. It is so bad that she has a whole room in the house for her bags. When the collection gets out of hand she has auctions for selected ones and donates the money to charity. There are certain bags she won’t get rid of. The one she refuses to give up is the purse she carried to her first successful audition. She carries it to all her auditions and insists it’s a good luck charm. It’s easy to justify keeping it, it’s a classic: a large black Longchamp Le Pliage. It matches everything!