Mrs. C (Mrs. Collins) is a difficult character. In the book she was originally Mrs. Bennet, the mother of the Bennet sisters. Since this book was centered around a sorority, she didn’t have to be anyone’s biological mother, but it made sense for her to be Colin’s mother. She isn’t a villain. She has important and socially critical motivations in the original. She just happens to be a pain in the butt. As I thought about her motivations in my story, I had to wonder what kind of woman would want to help modern college students, but not get the issues these young women are dealing with.
Here are five things you won’t learn about Mrs. C from the book:
- She voted for Trump because she thinks someone who is successful in business is qualified to run the country.
- Her favorite food is her own tuna casserole.
- Her favorite movie is The Sound of Music. She loves the Von Trapp family and has often gone to Vermont to stay at the family lodge and Von Trapp beer is the only beer she likes. She has also seen the family singers perform many times.
- Yes, she still loves the Cosby Show (from the 80s). It isn’t that she like Bill Cosby, but she loved Phylicia Rashad as Clair. She felt Clair Huxtable was a good mom because she was always home.
- Her favorite books are mysteries and anything by Mary Higgins Clark.