As we move forward in our character profiles, we are going to be introduced to a few new characters. Since the core family of the original is not a biological family in Phi Alpha Pi, this allowed me the chance to explore what type of family Lizbeth would have. For the next few profiles, we will explore the four other people in Lizbeth’s family. Today we will look at her mother, Layla. Here are five things you won’t know about Layla from reading the book.
- Layla is our thread that connects this book to Modern Persuasion. She is an author and her publisher is Emma Shaw. This story takes place after Modern Persuasion ends, about a few months after Emma and Fredrick got married. Layla has just signed with Emma’s new publishing company now that her contract with the old one (Emma’s previous employer) is over.
- Layla grew up in Central Massachusetts and spent year at UMass Amherst for college before realizing she hated it and wanted to go to Paris. It’s a good thing she changed her mind.
- Her favorite book is Chinua Achebe’s Things Fall Apart.
- Her favorite movie is The Wizard of Oz. She always wanted to know more of why the Wicked Witch was the way she was. She was overjoyed when Wicked was written and it remains one of her favorite revisioning of the story.
- Some of her family has been in Massachusetts since the Colonial era. In fact, there are family rumors of witchcraft being practiced. More importantly, she is descended from a few Boston Brahmin families.