Now that we are getting to know Lizbeth’s family, we can meet her father: Jack. Here are 5 things you won’t know about him from reading Phi Alpha Pi.
- You will learn that Jack is a chef and the son of one of the world’s most famous chefs. You will learn that he doesn’t want anything like his father’s fame and food empire. You will learn how it burnt him out to try and achieve that. What you won’t know are some of the ways he rediscovered his love of food during the post-burnout depression. One thing he did was start reading books about food (not cook books). This included Mary Roach’s Gulp. She became his favorite author and he had read all her books. Gulp remains his favorite.
- His favorite movie is The Big Lebowski.
- Emma has asked him to write a cook book. He officially told her not yet, but he has been turning the idea over in his mind and collecting recipes that he would put in it.
- His restaurant is known for modernized French Provincial food. These are the dishes his mother made for him growing up, that he made for Layla when they fell in love, and that he started cooking for the kids when he was home and depressed.
- One of his favorite thing to do with the kids is candlepin bowling. It’s a New England thing… and weird, but they love it.