This has been going on for about 10 years. A friend and I discovered Nancy Pearl’s Book Lust at the same time. As we went through the books she lists, I was disappointed that I had not read more than a fraction of these books. It felt like a major failure on my part. How could I claim to love reading and books and not have read so many great books. Said friend challenged me to read all those books. I said sure without really thinking about it.
As I continued to go through the book of books, I realized there were nearly 2000 titles listed in the book. I realized it would take me years to get through them. Even 10 years in I still have read less than 400 of the books on the list. You can see what I have read and what I titles are in my collection on GoodReads. I realized I needed rules. For example, if it is a multi-volume title like an encyclopedia, I didn’t have to read it. Another: if I already read it (or attempted to read it), I didn’t have to re-read it. I have to read the entire book though, even if it takes me a year to get through it. That has been why a number of books say on the ‘Currently Reading’ list even when I can’t seem to get through them. Right now that is Dark Sun: The Making of the Hydrogen Bomb.
There were originally limits on how many books I should read a year, but as time went on I gave up on those types of rules. I found I was not reading anything new and missed out on so many other great books. As a result things have changed. I continue this challenge even though the friend and I are no longer in touch.
I have tried to get other people involved. It isn’t easy- the list takes forever. At the end of the year I pick 12 books on the list to try and read in the next year.
Here are the Book Lust books I have read this year:
- Crocodile on the Sandbank (Amelia Peabody #1)
- A Drinking Life: A Memoir
- Mariner’s Compass (Benni Harper, #6)
- The Jewel in the Crown (The Raj Quartet, #1)
- Hunting Season (Anna Pigeon, #10)
- Flashback (Anna Pigeon, #11)
- The Minotaur Takes a Cigarette Break
- 1805 (Nathaniel Drinkwater, #6)
- Stern Men
- A Great Deliverance (Inspector Lynley, #1)
- Neuromancer (Sprawl, #1)
- Catch as Cat Can (Mrs. Murphy, #10)
- The Eye of the World (Wheel of Time, #1)
- Animal Dreams
- Claws and Effect (Mrs. Murphy, #9)
- Dinner at the Homesick Restaurant
- Ender’s Game (The Ender Quintet, #1)
Feel free to do this challenge with me! You will see a bunch of these books show up on my reading lists.