Recollection Wednesday is the day I look back and where I have been as a reader, writer, knitter, person, etc. Typically it will be connected to a book I have read in the past. By past I mean, not this week. This is still not a book review, but like with many book clubs, the time we spend drinking and talking about our lives.
Clearly, things are changing here at the blog. As my interests change, I make changes here. I am also thinking of the future and want to create something people want to read. Re-reading Harry Potter has been much more influential on this change than I anticipated it would be. It has been over 10 years since I first read the series and almost 9 years since the last book was published.
When I think of where I was when I started reading the series and where I am now, it is all very different while being very similar. The past year has been full of changes. Actually, the past 2 years have been full of changes. I tend to seek change when I am feeling angry of complacent. So, the past year, other than this blog, what has changed?
- Cedric Doggery has become part of the family. I would love him to be the Hufflepuff I pretend he is, but in reality he is completely a Slytherin. I have become that puppy mother though and I had pictures taken. After the first year, we have hit a stride in our life management. Someday he may actually be a Hufflepuff.
- I am shifting from writer to author as I attempt to publish my first novel. I have published a short story in a literary magazine I am a part of organizing. We are already working on issue 2 of the magazine and I am editing my second novel.
- I rarely talk about it, but I design knitting patterns. In the past year I have taken it to a new level. This year I started adding a cost, albeit small price, to my patterns and creating more. I hope to have a brand new one coming out at the end of the month.
- On a sadder note, I went from having 4 living grandparents, to losing both grandmothers in less than 2 months. It has, in some ways, been a difficult year. I miss my grandmothers, but we knew this was coming eventually. So few of people get to be 40 with all their grandparents alive. I am glad I knew both my grandmothers as an adult.
- In January I had an epiphany regarding some anger at work. It is very complicated, but I decided to be honest about what I wanted and work to get there. Since then I have been honest with my boss and he has provided me with a variety of opportunities to build the portfolio I need to advance my career as a librarian. I also got involved in things on my own and I am so much happier now.
Let’s see what happens next year. A few things are brewing and it’s time to see what comes from the mix.
There will be changes to this blog over the next few weeks. Primarily, a broader focus on me beyond reading. It will probably still relate to reading, but the time has come to think bigger.