This week we are discussing volume 1, chapters 1-7.
What should you do? Post some thoughts in the comments. You can answer questions I am asking here or you can post anything you want to say. You can share favorite quotes or passages. You can talk about what you like or dislike about a character.
Here are some thoughts and questions of my own:
- Northanger Abbey (and Persuasion) was published after Austen passed away. Yet, it was probably the first one written. What do you think this says about the book and story?
- Northanger Abbey is a parody on gothic literature. If you were going to modernize it, what would you like to parody? Don’t say Twilight.
- Audiobook, ebook, or printed book? What are you enjoying about the edition you are reading?
- Austen has a nice rant in support of novels and novel readers. If someone was to have the same rant today, where would they focus: Reality TV, romance novels, Millennials, or something else?
- Isabella and John Thrope seem to be the worst. Do you agree with me? I feel like John would be carrying the latest tech and talking about how great it is. He would then share the specs of how he has enhanced his tech. What about Isabella; what would she be like now?
Next week the discussion will be on October 13th to discuss volume 1, chapters 8-15.