It’s not something I talk about often, but I have a group on Good Reads for the Book Lust Challenge. For those who don’t know, for the past 10+ years I have been reading all the books listed in Nancy Pearl’s Book Lust books. I am barely 20% through. It’s a long term project. By long term, I mean I will probably just finish before I die. There are 2,000+ books on the list and I read like 100 a books year.
Anyway, the group is designed to let others do this with me without as much pressure. Every year I pick 12 books for people to read with me. I don’t usually get through all 12 myself, but I go back to that list as I go through the year. I pick the next years books in December of the previous year, which means I have recently done this for 2017. What are the books being read in 2017? Here is the list!
- Little America by Henry Bromell
- The Mambo Kings Play Songs of Love by Oscar Hijuelos
- Everything That Rises Must Converge by Flannery O’Connor
- Anil’s Ghost by Michael Ondaatje
- Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee by Dee Brown
- Flags of Our Fathers by James D. Bradley
- The Path Between the Seas by David McCullough
- The Little Friend by Donna Tartt
- The Maltese Falcon by Dashiell Hammett
- Then She Found Me by Elinor Lipman
- A Wild Sheep Chase by Haruki Murakami
- Ender’s Shadow by Orson Scott Card
Each year I think I get better about moderating the group. This year I have posted the books, posted the discussions, and issued the challenge to the small group of participants.
You are all more than welcome to join in with me. There is no order to read these in. There is no rule about finishing. If you are on GoodReads, join the group and add your thoughts about the book (even if you dislike it). You can also see previous years books and read those! Just click on the group’s graphic to get to the GoodReads page.