This is the last blog post in the shortest month of the year. I’m going to try something new on this blog, as it really begins to focus on my writing and publishing. At the end of each month, I’m going to share what’s been going on with writing and production of books.
What has been going on in the month of February. In my efforts to make any life changing decisions, especially those that are destructive, I’ve been focused on doing new things that help me get better at promotion and production. I’ve been focused on the continued promotion of Modern Persuasion, the production of Phi Alpha Pi, and the editing/writing of Missing Auggie. Here is what happened with each book.
A lot of my focus has been on using Instafreebie to get Modern Persuasion to more people. This book was always about growing readers, not making money. I’m not going to make money for a while… or will I? I’ve been trying to increase the number of people on the mailing list. I joined some group giveaways, which did help quite a bit and it got me thinking about other cool ways to promote the book. It has provided a chance for me to play with Thunderclap, a tool for leveraging social reach on Twitter, Facebook, and Tumblr. Watch for a Thunderclap campaign next month as my way of testing it.
All this focus on promotions has resulted in a very positive audiobook review that went up on a bunch of review places. I’m still trying to get more reviews up for Modern Persuasion. If I can get 25, then I can get suggested when potential readers are on other pages.
Phi Alpha Pi
Obviously, this is my primary focus right now. The cover design is in the works. I’ve seen some of the work and shared it with a few trusted people. I’m really excited about what I’ve seen and I think everyone else will be too. My second editor has finished her work and I’ve been spending the month doing one last check for punctuation problems and missing words. Once I’m done I can format the book. This time I’m learning Adobe InDesign to make the ebook formatting easier as well. It’s not an easy piece of software, but I’ve made some headway with it. I decided, if I can figure this out, I might re-format Modern Persuasion in it. I still want those text messages to show up in the ebook. I’m also getting ready for the cover reveal and blog tour before the release date.
One new thing I’m trying is released the ARC of the book once it’s formatted. I would like to get some reviews up on blogs and GoodReads before the book is released (or soon after). It might be a bit expensive, but I want to try it for this book to see if it’s worth the expense.
While I’ve been waiting for things to happen, I’ve played with the series and branding my newsletter. I’ve been designing logos and banners to go with them. I’m really happy with the way it has progressed. Oh, and did I mention that I am going to open a merchandise store this spring? I will have items for all three books and for the series. I’m having more fun with it than I should, but I hope people will buy some things eventually.
Missing Auggie needs some love, but my attention span only goes so far. I have been re-working the outline. It turns out I lost about a month of time somewhere in the novel and it’s pretty important considering it’s a mystery. I’ve been doing additional research for the book and a few decisions were made for character development and more authenticity in the novel. Next I have to re-organize, add in some more of the b-plot, and put content in the correct order. It’s going to be a big project for March because in April’s Camp NaNoWriMo I’m going to do some editing again and will hopefully be able to share with beta readers in May.
The last thing I’ve been trying to do is write the blurb for the book. This will be previewed in the back of Phi Alpha Pi, so I would like it to catch people’s attention and interest.