With Phi Alpha Pi done and Missing Auggie being edited, I thought about what I want to do with the next project: Woodhouse Yarn and Cafe. This modernization of Emma is still in the beginning phase as the other projects became my priority. Now I’m able to focus, pick up where I left off and use July to complete my first draft. Today I’m going to share an experiment I’m doing this July for Camp NaNoWriMo.
A few weeks ago I talked about how I was shifting from “flying by the seat of my pants” to someone who plots their story with outlines. I’ve also talked about my frustration with my writing as a result of so many years of writing to meet a specific word count. Now that I’m mostly done with Missing Auggie, I realized it was really helpful to have the outline ready to go. When I re-wrote part of it for the April Camp NaNoWriMo, I really made progress once I got detailed with the outline. I decided to apply the same idea to Woodhouse Yarn and Cafe.
The thing with how I modernize Jane Austen novels is that I use her outline more than my own. For both Modern Persuasion and Phi Alpha Pi, I knew the original VERY well. Moving forward, I’m modernizing books I know well enough. It was easy to just write those stories because those two books are often in my head, playing over and over in some ways. The next two, based on Emma and Northanger Abbey, aren’t my fantasies. The stories aren’t just flowing with my typing as fast as I can. It hasn’t been as easy to develop these stories. Having an outline is helping me focus on what I want to happen in the book.
Woodhouse Yarn and Cafe has been outlined with a specific number of chapters. I’ve gone through and planned the basics of each chapter. I still have to determine specific characters and finalize names. I keep changing them as things progress. I have a little more research to do about yarn shops. Once July is here, I’m putting aside a wordcount goal and focusing on chapter completion based on the outline.
Wish me luck!